UPO provides a range of planning, design and permitting services which help Harvard faculties and departments implement their capital projects and plans. These services include:
- Providing clients with a University-wide context for capital projects.
- Assisting clients in assessing their capital project's consistency with existing University planning standards and guidelines.
- Reviewing design for capital projects.
- Providing advice on designer selection for capital projects.
- Identifying and securing necessary public approvals for planning and zoning, historic preservation, accessibility, and other local, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Assessing the impacts of various local, state and federal regulatory requirements on capital plans and projects.
- Identifying and monitoring proposed regulatory changes and assessing their potential impact to Harvard's capital planning,
- Facilitating and coordinating the involvement of other central administration units (for example, the Office of the General Counsel, Office of Community, Government and Public Affairs, University Disability Coordinator, and University Operations Services) in the planning and implementation of capital projects